The Leatherworks Joins The Flying Piston Silent Auction
The Leatherworks is providing two solo bags for the Sportster and Softail models. The bags are featured at the 2018 silent auction held at The Silent Piston Charity Breakfast located at the Buffalo Chip on the 1st Sunday of the rally. Details are here
Both bags feature The Leatherworks’ Nickel Bag. And each bag contains two well-used Buffalo nickels.
Leather Motorcycle Saddlebags. The Leatherworks manufactures custom made leather motorcycle saddlebags, solo bags and motorcycle accessories. Their American-made leather saddlebags are made to OEM specifications to work on Harley Davidson, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Triumph, Victory, Indian, and Excelsior Henderson motorcycles.
Quality Custom & American Made. Today, Aimee Thacher continues the legacy of maintaining a top quality product custom designed to meet their client’s specification. The Leatherworks starts with top quality materials and they quality control the product from beginning to end. They offer more custom options than anyone in the industry.
MEDIA + SPONSORS – Media, Sponsors and Participants: The Flying Piston Builders Breakfast is produced by Marilyn Stemp of Iron Trader News and Jeff Najar of Biker Pros. For sponsor information or to donate auction items contact: Marilyn Stemp, 828-205-8482, firstname.lastname@example.org.
More at: www.theflyingpiston.com or www.Facebook.com/The-Flying-Piston
The Leatherworks Leather Guide 101
HOW DO I TAKE CARE OF BAGS
With a little bit of care these saddlebags will last you many years.
- The Leatherworks recommends cleaning and conditioning the bags with products like Tannery, Leather Honey or Lexol. If you ride a lot you should clean and condition every couple of weeks, otherwise every 4-6 weeks should be fine.
- The Leatherworks does not recommend using mink oil or saddle soap, they were made in the 1940s and should stay there.
- Please do not chemical wash the bike with the bags on. The chemical wash can strip the UV protection and weather protection finish off the bags.
- If the bags get soaked from riding in a long storm or sitting in the rain, then stuff the bags with newsprint, change the paper out every 30-45 minutes until the bags are dry. Then clean and condition.
- If you live in an area where you don’t ride during the winter or you plan to not ride for a while, stuff the bags with towels and store in a dry cool place.
- The bags will last many years if not left on the bike outside all the time. If you don’t have a garage take the saddlebags inside with you,
WHAT KIND OF LEATHER IS USED:
The Leatherworks uses a 10-11 ounce full grain leather which has been drummed dyed black so the color won’t fade away. It is tanned to our specifications and part of that is how firm the leather is. Their bags last many years and part of that is called temper which regulates the firmness of the leather. Temper is measured on a scale from 1 to 100, and our leather comes in at a 6, so the bags will be firm and hold their shape.
The leather is treated at the tannery to be UV resistant and water resistant. This means that the sunlight won’t cause the leather to fade and if the bags get wet in the rain the leather won’t spot or swell. However, chemical washes will strip this finish away so please do not wash the bike with the bags on.
Interesting side note is the cows are raised in Texas, tanned in Milwaukee and made in California. So American Made!
WHAT ARE THE SADDLEBAG FEATURES:
The Leatherworks starts with a 10-11 ounce firm leather which will hold up for many years. We offer many custom options and our bags come with standard features as described below. The only feature not shown is inside all of our saddlebags is a small zippered pocket for things like registration and insurance.